Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Iron Constitution


Being productive right now is a huge effort. I tagged along on a rainy wine country ramble with my husband and his biking buddy the other day, and while I didn't embarrass myself completely, I was certainly tired with only 28 miles and 1500 feet of climbing. The only reason I even thought I could keep up is because it was supposed to be an easy ride due to our friend being "injured." And it was, objectively, an easy ride. But I have a long way to go before summer to get where I need to be, even to where I was in 2011. With that in mind, I hit the running trail again today. Only did three miles, but it felt good. Afterwards, I read another chapter in my Ben Franklin biography - in the winter I like to read about badasses with iron constitutions to inspire me. That's a good phrase, that one. A coworker described me that way last week -- but he's from New York, so he doesn't know that I'm like the first or second rung on the ladder above pussy compared to all these hearty Pacific Northwesterners who triathalon to work and rappel into bed. But I'm going to try to be inspired with that image of myself as the season progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment