Friday, October 21, 2011

Newberry to Helvetia Lollipop



With a three day weekend looming, there were only three things I wanted to do: bike, hike and hang out with my husband. He was only too happy to oblige two of those today.

Today's lollipop ride kicked my butt, which is not how I thought it was going to go from the way I zipped up Newberry Road from our parking spot on Sauvie. Yes, I said zipped. I even hotdogged it a little at the top, I was so proud.

We followed Skyline through Cornelius Pass once again, and then climbed up until the junction with NW Johnson/Logie Trail road and dropped down some super-fun screaming descents and rollers into Helvetia.

Dr B had wanted to ride to Dutch Canyon via Scappoose, but decided to save that for an earlier start and lighter bike. I was happy with that decision, though I had been in a great mood, and continued to enjoy the crisp air, roadside gourds and fall colors immensely up until the return trip to Cornelius Pass.

At some point I bonked, probably due to the candy corn for breakfast and the construction below our apartment at 8 a.m. Also, I blew my legs out early in the ride showing off my newly improved climbing skills. By the time we reached Plainview grocery store, I was in a dark place. Salty chips helped for the climb back up to Newberry and down to the car. Laughing Planet afterwards helped even more.

It was only about 25 miles overall, but a lot of climbs and scenery. I'm happy with how well I started out, now I have to work on sustaining it.

No comments:

Post a Comment