Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Summer Will-Do List

Not me. Yet.
Having peered up Asgaard Pass, I got the crazy notion in my head that I want to traverse the Enchantments in one day. The overnight permit system sounds like a pain and I'm not sure I want to deal with it. The car shuttle/hitchhiking situation might prove too tricky, however, in which case I'll just do Little Annapurna. At the same time, I decided to train for the Portland Marathon in October to get myself fit enough to manage the demands of the traverse. Also because I'm a masochist, and I just want to do it. I just need a little more snow-melt and I'm off and running...

  1. Mt Aix Dayhike
  2. Blanca Lake Dayhike
  3. K.Katwalk or Lake Ingalls Dayhike
  4. Robin/Jade Lakes or Lake Ingalls Dayhike
  5. Wright Mtn via Snow Lake Dayhike
  6. Pilchuck/Lake 22 Dayhike
  7. Lyman Lakes Backpack
  8. Mt Persis/Lake Serene Dayhike
  9. Tank Lakes Backpack
  10. Baker/Shuksan Dayhikes
  11. Close hike (Norway Pass?)
  12. Middle Sister Backpack
  13. Little Annapurna Dayhike/Enchantments Traverse
  14. Close Hike (Yocum Ridge?)
  15. Portland Marathon

4 comments:

  1. I'm training for the same thing! I've backpacked in the Enchantments twice, but I really want to try it in one day.

    Other notes:
    - Tank Lakes = amazing. Make sure you have a good forecast so you can see the reflections.
    - Tuck and Robin are so beautiful but CROWDED, go in the middle of the week if you can swing it. I recommend it as a backpack, the sunrise we saw there is in my top ten!
    - Have you ever hiked Alta Mountain near Snoqualmie Pass? I would pick that one over Wright.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! Tank Lakes looks pretty difficult/remote for a solo, so I'm hoping I can get some joiners. Did you do it as a solo? Any tips on that one?

    I'm looking at 9/23 for the Enchantments traverse, weather-permitting as always. If I can't manage the whole thing I'll attempt Little Annapurna instead. When are you doing it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did Tanks with friends, but the navigation is pretty straightforward - hike towards the end of Necklace Valley, then hike straight up the boulder field on the right. I remember it being very physically hard, but I also wasn't in very good shape. I blogged about it here (whoa, I sure whined a lot back then): http://www.feastsonscraps.com/2009/09/07/i-asked-for-something-more-challenging/

    I think we're going to try to do the Enchantments in August so swimming in the lakes will be more comfortable, but we'll see. It'll probably be horribly buggy when we do it...October looks gorgeous for the larch trees, but then you'll have shorter days and the possibility of sketchy snow/ice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, thanks. Have fun! Now to figure out the car shuttle or get someone to commit to the crazy with me :)

    ReplyDelete